

MVP for Transportation MPO Policy Board Meeting

Representatives:

Bob Charles – Knik Tribe (**Secretary**)
Edna DeVries, Mayor - MSB
Glenda Ledford, Mayor – City of Wasilla (**Chair**)
Brian Winnestaffer - Chickaloon Native Village
Mike Brown - MSB
Sean Holland - DOT&PF (**Treasurer**)
Steve Carrington, Mayor – City of Palmer (**Vice Chair**)



Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app.

[**Join the meeting now**](#)

Meeting ID: 256 533 766 206

Passcode: HE99Pw2m

Or call in (audio only)

+1 605-937-6140 (U.S. Sioux Falls)

(844) 594-6237 (toll-free)

Phone Conference ID: 376 921 063#

Minutes

Wednesday, March 19th, 2025

1:30-3:00pm

Meeting Location

Musk Ox Farm
12850 E Archie Road, Palmer Alaska 99645
Hayloft / Classroom

1. Meeting called to order

The meeting was called to order at 1:30pm.

Members Present

Alex Strawn, MSB in for Mike Brown, MSB
Bob Charles, Knik Tribe
Brian Winnestaffer, Chickaloon Native Village
Edna DeVries, MSB
Sean Holland, Alaska DOT&PF
Steve Carrington, City of Palmer

Members Absent

Glenda Ledford, City of Wasilla
Mike Brown, MSB

Visitors Present

Adam Bradway, Alaska DOT&PF
Clint Adler, Alaska DOT&PF
Donna Gardino, Gardino Consulting Services
Ben White, Alaska DOT&PF
Elise Blocker, RESPEC
Kim Sollien, MVP Executive Director
Megan Flory, RESPEC

2. Consent Agenda (Action Item)

- a. **Approval of the March 19th, 2025, Agenda**
- b. **Approval of the February 26th, 2025, Minutes**

*Motion to approve the consent agenda (**Winnestaffer**), seconded. No edits. Approved unanimously.*

MVP for Transportation MPO Policy Board Meeting

3. Committee/Working Group Reports (Including the Chair's Report)

i. Staff Report

• Schedule of Topics

Kim Sollien provided a staff report. The payroll will be ready to run mid-April. The quotes for the insurances have been organized and a summary will be provided next month. QuickBooks has been purchased. Interviews were conducted two weeks ago, and references are being checked. Kim attended the statewide MPO Quarterly Meeting, the Peer Exchange was discussed. One of the action items was a schedule.

4. Voices of the Visitors (Non-Action Items)

None

5. Action Items

a. **Statewide Transportation Plan Amendment #2 MVP comments and questions review with Alaska DOT&PF staff and approve submittal of formal comments on MVP's suballocations.**

Kim Sollien provided a staff report. The STIP Amendment #2 was released on Valentine's Day. The document is robust with many changes. Kim Sollien wrote up several questions and sent them to the STIP team but has not received a response. Adam Bradway and Ben White answered the questions they could during the Technical Committee meeting, and it was decided to write up the formal questions and send them to the STIP team. Kim Sollien provided an overview of the questions.

Adam Bradway: For Item #1 - We are working on getting an account of all the MVP funding spent. We are moving funds for Bogard Road from FY25 to FY24. I sent an email explaining the carryover that the original intent was to have the funds in FY24 and also, we have received confirmation from the Chief Engineer that the remaining funds from FY24 will be carried over into FY25.

For Item #3 – I do not have a good answer for the definition of what a "Community Driven Project" is. It appears to be a placeholder that will be directed toward the MPO's TIP, but I have not received confirmation.

For Item #4 – We do not think there has been a split letter either.

For Item #5 – I am not able to answer all your questions here, but we are able to spend more than the set allocation for the particular year using other methods.

For Item #6 – These funds don't necessarily need to be shown in the STIP because they are planning funds. FAST and AMATS are shown in the physical constraint table so it might be worthwhile making them look consistent.

Donna Gardino: \$2.2 billion in FY25 is over double what they obligated in the past year, historically it's been around \$900 million. I am curious how that is going to be done. It could be the use of a financing technique called "Advanced Construction". If that's the case, they will have to make an amendment.

Adam Bradway: I don't have anything to add.

MVP for Transportation MPO Policy Board Meeting

Sean Holland: The STIP team asked us not to submit formal questions?

Kim Sollien: During the first round of STIP questions, we were told that it would have been better to have a conversation with the STIP team first before submitting questions formally. That is why I reached out to the STIP team first before the Technical Committee meeting so we wouldn't have to submit our questions formally.

Sean Holland: I don't know if this would create more work for the STIP team.

Steve Carrington: The due date is tomorrow.

Sean Holland: I feel we could answer some of the questions on a formal basis if that is the STIP team's preference. Are any of these critical to MVP's program?

Kim Sollien: We have our suballocation starting in fiscal year 24. It makes sense to have clarification that the allocations are being spent based on what the Policy Board asked for. At this point, it's very important to submit our formal comments because the STIP team received our comments three weeks ago and has not responded.

Adam Bradway: All of the projects that are in MVP's program are there and funded. They just might not have the same funding alignment that are in the program of projects.

Brian Winnestaffer: Sounds like they were given plenty of time to get back to us. It makes sense to have some of us abstain from voting.

Alex Strawn: I think these questions are well thought out, some things don't make a lot of sense and should be answered. I don't see what the problem would be to submit written comments. I support this.

Steve Carrington: I prefer that we have discussions in an interactive way but since that didn't happen and we tried, I think we should go ahead and approve this.

Sean Holland: To Adam Bradway, does this create more work for the STIP team?

Adam Bradway: If you submit formal comments, we will have to respond with a formal answer. I agree that some of these could have been addressed beforehand.

- a. *Motion to approve Statewide Transportation Plan Amendment #2 MVP comments and questions review with Alaska DOT&PF staff and approve submittal of formal comments on MVP's suballocations, (Winnestaffer), seconded. Roll call vote: Yes: 5, No: 1. Motion Passed.*

6. Old Business

a. MSB Pass through Grant Agreement Update

Kim Sollien provided an update. We had an Executive Session during the last Policy Board meeting to review the comments from MVP's legal.

Alex Strawn: Our legal team and financial department are comfortable with it. They have language for Section 4. I will send that to you, Kim.

MVP for Transportation MPO Policy Board Meeting

Kim Sollien: We might not be ready to spend all the funds that budget outlines. I asked if we could request all of the funds and hold them in our account or if there is a process for an extension.

Alex Strawn: Ill submit that to you. If we agree on the changes and the new language, will you put it on a future agenda?

Kim Sollien: Yes, I'll put it on the April agenda.

b. Metropolitan Transportation Plan Contract Update

Adam Bradway: We have reached an agreement with RESPEC. As of March 14, 2025, there is a 10-day protest period. Hopefully we can kick off the project next week.

c. MSB Transit Program Update - Letter from the MSB to Alaska DOT&PF requesting an additional 90-day funding extension.

Kim Sollien: The Mat-Su Borough needs determine whether they will fund the match for the transit program. This 90-day extension will provide the potential transit contractor with more time to get operational and organized.

Alex Strawn: As far as I know the Borough has not received any response to this request. The RFP was finalized and should be released today or tomorrow.

Sean Holland: What would be your drop-dead date to hear a response?

Alex Strawn: I am not sure. I have not been directly handling this.

Sean Holland: If I can follow-up on this, let me know.

Kim Sollien: The funding the MSB current receives for transit expires June 30th. This would provide a bridge to October 1st.

7. New Business

None

8. Other Issues

None

9. Informational Items

- a. Transit Roundtable April 9th at noon via [Teams](#)
- b. Statewide MPO Quarterly meeting and Peer Exchange Review March 3rd and 4th.

Kim Sollien provided an update. MPOs went through the action items that came from the Peer Exchange.

c. Staffing update

Interviews are currently in progress. The goal is to be fully staffed May 1st.

MVP for Transportation MPO Policy Board Meeting

- d. **Index of Authorities Governing National Highway System Facilities in the Metropolitan Planning Area – Letter Alaska DOT&PF to FAST Planning.**

The letter is in the packet.

- e. **Response to January 22, 2025, Letter Regarding Anchorage Municipal Area Transportation Solutions (AMATS) Boundary and Operating Agreement Revision – Letter Alaska DOT&PF to AMATS**

The letter is in the packet.

Donna Gardino: Our agreement is very similar to FAST Planning. We should expect to get a letter.

10. Policy Board Comments

Brian Winnestaffer: Who is the best person to work with on my project regarding Moose Creek bridge?

Sean Holland: We can follow up on that. That project should be in the STIP amendment. Let's regroup.

Bob Charles: I made a comment regarding the letters on the operating agreement. After long discussions, they came to the consensus in the form of agreement as it is now. To open the operating agreement now, might dilute MVPs authority. We have to see how FAST and AMATS land.

Sean Holland: We are about a month out from starting work on Glenn Highway. There is an extensive traffic control plan. Keep an eye out for that, there is a website glennbridges.com.

11. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 2:52pm

Next Scheduled MPO Policy Board Meeting – **April 22nd**, from 1:30pm-3:00 p.m. to be held at the Musk Ox Farm and via Microsoft TEAMS.